2017-28 HVAC Engineer I
Koam Engineering Systems, Inc. (KES Inc.) is an employee owned small business specializing in technology innovation and systems integration by combining innovative products and reliable engineering services. Headquartered in San Diego, California and with offices in Gig Harbor, WA KES provides services globally in systems engineering & technical assistance, requirements analysis, software design & development, systems integration & testing, independent verification & validation, and operational & logistic support.
To design Marine HVAC systems and/or system modifications primarily for U.S. government ships. Through provided instruction and pre-established guidelines candidate would be responsible for development of own designs as well as assisting HVAC design technicians, checking own drawings for accuracy, efficiency, cost effectiveness and future adaptability of design prior to submittal to upper level HVAC Engineer and HVAC Lead for review.
- Analyze ship as-built and/or modification drawings to determine impact of proposed ship upgrades.
- Familiar with ship terminology and general characteristics (port/starboard, fore/aft, ABL, CG, mold lines, V-lines, etc.)
- Assist with routine ship check activities, such as identifying existing ship HVAC system configurations and recording through drafting the ductwork, HVAC equipment and locations with respect to internal ship datum’s and frames.
- Document any installation interferences onboard ship and design any required modifications.
- Develop and maintain a mechanical (HVAC) materials catalog that accounts for unit weights, NSNs, and material specifications.
- Develop and maintain heat load inventory database with known equipment and heat load values aboard ships for use in HVAC analysis calculations.
- Responsible for basic HVAC analysis via hand calculations (determining boundary loads, heating and cooling loads, pressure loss calculations, etc.) for determining system design and equipment selection.
- Perform and/or check weight and moment calculations for all removed and added HVAC materials and or equipment.
- Check that all KES HVAC drawings meet customer requirements and integrate with other engineering disciplines.
- Responsible for working closely with and mentoring Engineering Technicians.
- Integrate with HVAC Engineer Level II and or III on design concepts and work-flow process efficiency.
- Coordinate all design work and work closely with lead HVAC engineer.
- 0-4 years
- 2+ years of engineering design experience which included computer drafting.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
Bachelor degree in Mechanical or Marine Engineering. 5 years related experience may be substituted for BS degree
ABET certified engineering school and successful EIT certificate.
Experience with Naval and ABS standards and familiarity with technical drawings. Experience with 3D CAD software design.
Candidate must possess/have ability to obtain a DoD Secret Level Clearance. Must have strong computer skills and be proficient with 2D CAD software and Microsoft Office Suite. Must be willing/able to travel for shipchecks (typically 1-2 weeks at a time).
At KES, we offer a comprehensive and valuable benefits program to our employees and their families some of these benefits include but are not limited to:
· Customizable Medical/Dental/Vision Coverage
· Life and AD&D Insurance
· 401(k) Plan
· Prevailing Wage Plan (Retirement Plan)
· Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) - (Discretionary Plan)
· Education Assistance
· Paid Time Off
Since 1995, KES continues to foster the entrepreneurial spirit of a growing small business that focuses on the needs of its customers and employees and serves to provide a rewarding and challenging career. KES offers a competitive salary and full range of benefits. KES, Inc. is an EEO/AA Employer committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce.