Koam Engineering Systems, Inc. (KES Inc.) is an employee owned small business specializing in technology innovation and systems integration by combining innovative products and reliable engineering services. Headquartered in San Diego, California and with offices in Gig Harbor, WA KES provides services globally in systems engineering & technical assistance, requirements analysis, software design & development, systems integration & testing, independent verification & validation, and operational & logistic support.
To design electrical power, lighting, and control systems and modifications for U.S. Navy and commercial ships. Candidate would be responsible for development of own designs as well as checking final drawings for accuracy, efficiency of design, cost effectiveness and future adaptability. Candidate would be responsible for performing all three phase load analysis and all associated calculation in accordance with Military or Civilian requirements.
- Analyze ship as-built and/or modification drawings to determine impact of proposed ship upgrades.
- Coordinate all electrical work between multiple alterations and integrate with all affected disciplines/team mates.
- Lead junior engineers and technicians on ship check activities, such as surveying existing ship power, lighting and control systems and recording cable and breaker sizes and locations in respect to internal ship datums and frames.
- Confirm all junior engineer and technician design work and interference control plans onboard ship.
- Expert in ship electrical construction techniques, terminology and general characteristics (port/starboard, fore/aft.)
- Design and modify existing electrical control systems.
- Answer drawing LARs with cost-effective design solutions.
- Responsible for all electrical calculations as required by our customers’ requirements.
- Lead electrical design projects for assigned ship-class.
- Check all KES electrical drawings meet government or ABS requirements and integrate with other engineering disciplines.
- Responsible for working closely with and mentoring Electrical Engineer Level I.
- Integrate with Electrical Engineer Level III on complex design projects (i.e. Ships Control Systems, PLC work)
- Coordinate all design work and work closely with lead electrical engineer.
Other duties as assigned.
5+ years of electrical design experience which includes 2D CAD drawing development.
Candidate must possess/have ability to obtain a DoD Secret Level Clearance. Must have strong computer skills and be proficient with 2D CAD and Microsoft Excel. Must be willing and able to travel for shipchecks.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
Required: Bachelor degree in Electrical. 10 years related experience may be substituted for BS degree.
Preferred: At minimum EIT certificate. PE desired.
Previous employment with an engineering planning department. Some electrical skills/background. Experience developing 3D CAD drawings.
Proficient with 3D CAD Software.
At KES, we offer a comprehensive and valuable benefits program to our employees and their families some of these benefits include but are not limited to:
- Customizable Medical/Dental/Vision Coverage
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Prevailing Wage Plan (Retirement Plan)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) - (Discretionary Plan)
- Education Assistance
- Paid Time Off
Since 1995, KES continues to foster the entrepreneurial spirit of a growing small business that focuses on the needs of its customers and employees and serves to provide a rewarding and challenging career. KES offers a competitive salary and full range of benefits. KES, Inc. is an EEO/AA Employer committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce.