Koam Engineering Systems, Inc. (KES Inc.) is an employee owned small business specializing in technology innovation and systems integration by combining innovative products and reliable engineering services. Headquartered in San Diego, California and with offices in Gig Harbor, WA KES provides services globally in systems engineering & technical assistance, requirements analysis, software design & development, systems integration & testing, independent verification & validation, and operational & logistic support.
2017-107 Structural SME (Norfolk, Va)
The Structural SME will ensure that all external and internal requirements for structural design drawings are met before our products reach our customers. The Structural SME performs all functions needed to organize, train, task, monitor, and lead the Structural Design team. The Structural SME coordinates management and assignment of shipboard hull and mechanical design activities with Newport News Shipbuilding.
- Provide technical and administrative coordination of assets to complete projects in accordance with mandatory requirements.
- Create designs for equipment foundations and new structure based on field sketches of existing conditions and as-built plans.
- Layout and detailing new or modified structure.
- Document existing conditions on vessels or facilities through field check sketches.
- Calculate weight and center of gravity changes resulting from structural modifications.
- Perform shipboard surveys.
- Interface with customers and vendors.
- Assists with project planning activities associated with engineering projects.
- Maintains current knowledge of relevant technologies as assigned. Participates in special projects as required.
- Prepares technical and status reports for on-time delivery to Government customers.
- Oversees monthly Subcontractor reporting. Reviews subcontractor purchase orders and invoices for accuracy.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Ten (10) years of experience with Ship Systems in the areas of design and modifications of shipboard hull and mechanical systems is preferred.
- Must be able to utilize Computer-Aided (CAD) software (AutoCAD 2008 or newer) to develop drawings. 3D Modeling experience would be beneficial.
- Must be familiar with drafting standards, symbols, nomenclature, and engineering terms including ANSI/ASME Y14.35 and ASME Y14.5.
- Experience in the development and modification of arrangement, detail, and diagram drawings as well as the ability to ship check on-site and produce clear and concise sketches.
- Specific experience supporting development of engineering calculations using Autodesk NASTRAN with FEMAP software for development of all structural models supporting the installations.
- Specific experience supporting MATHCAD software for the simple calculations as directed.
- Familiarity with pipe testing requirements and writing technical manuals.
- Working knowledge of habitability standards and approved habitability materials for use on U.S. Navy ships.
- Must be able to work in an office, industrial, or shipboard environment. Capable of climbing ladders, tolerating confined spaces, and tolerating extreme temperature variances during site surveys.
- Be able to lift and move materials not to exceed the guidelines set for one man lift. Must be able to perform site surveys and carry a laptop computer. Experience in performing on-site surveys of US naval ships.
- Must be able to support and coordinate multiple engineering and design tasks simultaneously.
- Preferred experience in the development of drawings and accomplishment of Quality Assurance and review of drawings created by others.
- Preferred experience in the supervision of design personnel and leading ship checks.
- Demonstrated experience in providing engineering, design, and technical support to shipboard environments.
- BS in Engineering or Engineering Technology and specialized training in the mechanical marine design field (Shipyard Apprenticeship, trade, or industrial school) with 1+ years of experience.
- U.S. citizenship required.
- Must meet and maintain eligibility for U.S. DoD Secret Security Clearance and have the ability to access military facilities, naval shipyards, and private shipyards.
At KES, we offer a comprehensive and valuable benefits program to our employees and their families some of these benefits include but are not limited to:
Customizable Medical/Dental/Vision Coverage
Life and AD&D Insurance
Prevailing Wage Plan (Retirement Plan)
Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) - (Discretionary Plan)
Paid Time Off
Since 1995, KES continues to foster the entrepreneurial spirit of a growing small business that focuses on the needs of its customers and employees and serves to provide a rewarding and challenging career. KES offers a competitive salary and full range of benefits. KES, Inc. is an EEO/AA Employer committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce.