Koam Engineering Systems, Inc. (KES Inc.) is an employee owned small business specializing in technology innovation and systems integration by combining innovative products and reliable engineering services. Headquartered in San Diego, California and with offices in Gig Harbor, WA KES provides services globally in systems engineering & technical assistance, requirements analysis, software design & development, systems integration & testing, independent verification & validation, and operational & logistic support.
To design Marine Piping systems and/or system modifications primarily for U.S. government ships. Through provided instruction and pre-established guidelines candidate would be responsible for development of own designs as well as assisting Mechanical Engineering Technicians/Designers, checking own drawings for accuracy, efficiency, cost effectiveness and future adaptability of design prior to submittal to upper level Piping Engineer and or Mechanical Group Lead for review.
- Analyze ship as-built and/or modification drawings to determine impact of proposed ship upgrades.
- Familiar with ship terminology and general characteristics (port/starboard, fore/aft, ABL, CG, mold lines, V-lines, etc.)
- Assist with routine ship check activities, such as identifying existing ships piping systems configurations and recording through drafting the piping, equipment and locations with respect to internal ship datum’s and frames.
- Document any installation interferences onboard ship and design any required modifications.
- Develop and maintain a mechanical (Piping) materials catalog that accounts for unit weights, NSNs, and material specifications.
- Responsible for basic Piping system analysis (i.e., fluid velocity and pressure loss calculations, etc.) for determining system design and equipment selection.
- Perform and/or check weight and moment calculations for all removed and added Piping materials and or equipment.
- Check that all KES Piping drawings meet customer requirements and integrate with other engineering disciplines.
- Responsible for working closely with and mentoring Mechanical Engineering Technicians/Designers.
- Integrate with Piping Engineer Level II and or III on design concepts and work-flow process efficiency.
- Coordinate all design work and work closely with lead Piping Engineer and Mechanical Group Lead.
- Must have strong computer skills and be proficient with 2D CAD Software and Microsoft Office Suite.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Bachelor degree in Mechanical or Marine Engineering
- 0-4 years of experience
- 5 years related experience may be substituted for BS degree.
- Candidate must possess/have ability to obtain a DoD Secret Level Clearance.
- Must be willing/able to travel for shipchecks (typically 1-2 weeks at a time).
Experience with Naval and ABS standards and familiarity with technical drawings. Preferred 2+ years of engineering design experience which included 3D CAD software design. ABET certified engineering school and successful EIT certificate.
At KES, we offer a comprehensive and valuable benefits program to our employees and their families some of these benefits include but are not limited to:
- Customizable Medical/Dental/Vision Coverage
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Prevailing Wage Plan (Retirement Plan)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) - (Discretionary Plan)
- Education Assistance
- Paid Time Off
Since 1995, KES continues to foster the entrepreneurial spirit of a growing small business that focuses on the needs of its customers and employees and serves to provide a rewarding and challenging career. KES offers a competitive salary and full range of benefits. KES, Inc. is an EEO/AA Employer committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce.