Koam Engineering Systems, Inc. (KES Inc.) is an employee owned small business specializing in technology innovation and systems integration by combining innovative products and reliable engineering services. Headquartered in San Diego, California and with offices in Gig Harbor, WA KES provides services globally in systems engineering & technical assistance, requirements analysis, software design & development, systems integration & testing, independent verification & validation, and operational & logistic support.
To design Marine Piping systems and/or system modifications primarily for U.S. government ships and to mentor/train support staff. Candidate would be responsible for leading ship-class efforts with full range of design integration. Through experience and judgment candidate would be responsible for performing Piping system calculations to support all design work as well as assisting lower level Piping Engineers and Mechanical Engineering Technicians/Designers, checking final drawings for accuracy, efficiency, cost effectiveness and future adaptability of design prior to submittal to upper level Piping Engineer and or Mechanical Group Lead for review.
· Analyze ship as-built and/or modification drawings to determine impact of proposed ship upgrades.
· Coordinate Piping work between multiple projects and integrate with all affected disciplines/team mates.
· Knowledgeable in ship terminology and general characteristics (port/starboard, fore/aft, ABL, CG, mold lines, V-lines, etc.)
· Lead lower level Piping Engineers and Mechanical Engineering Technicians/Designers on ship check activities, such as identifying existing ship piping system configurations and recording through drafting, the piping, equipment and locations with respect to internal ship datum’s and frames.
· Lead piping design projects for assigned ship-class.
· Confirm all lower level engineer and technician design work and interference control plans while onboard ship.
· Support development and maintenance of mechanical (Piping) materials catalog which accounts for unit weights, NSNs, and material specifications, ensuring accuracy and completeness.
· Responsible for piping system analysis (i.e. fluid velocity and pressure loss calculations, etc.) for determining system design and equipment selection.
· Perform and/or check weight and moment calculations for all removed and added piping materials and or equipment.
· Check that all KES piping drawings meet customer requirements and integrate with other engineering disciplines.
· Answer drawing LARs with cost-effective design solutions.
· Responsible for working closely with and mentoring Piping Engineer Level I and Mechanical Engineering Technicians/Designers.
· Integrate with Piping Engineer Level III on complex design projects.
· Coordinate all design work and work closely with lead Piping Engineer and or Mechanical Group Lead.
· 5+ years for piping design experience which includes CAD drawings development.
· Must have strong computer skills and be proficient with 2D CAD software and Microsoft Office Suite.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
· Bachelor degree in Mechanical or Marine Engineering.
· 10 years related may be substituted for BS degree.
· Candidate must possess/have ability to obtain a DoD Secret Level Clearance.
· Must be willing/be able to travel for shipchecks(typically 1-2 weeks at a time).
· Knowledge in testing of piping systems and troubleshooting system controls and design. Experience in 3D CAD software design. Experience with Naval and ABS standards and familiarity with technical drawings.
· Naval design and/or previous employment with a Naval Shipyard planning department.
At KES, we offer a comprehensive and valuable benefits program to our employees and their families some of these benefits include but are not limited to:
· Customizable Medical/Dental/Vision Coverage
· Life and AD&D Insurance
· 401(k) Plan
· Prevailing Wage Plan (Retirement Plan)
· Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) - (Discretionary Plan)
· Education Assistance
· Paid Time Off
Since 1995, KES continues to foster the entrepreneurial spirit of a growing small business that focuses on the needs of its customers and employees and serves to provide a rewarding and challenging career. KES offers a competitive salary and full range of benefits. KES, Inc. is an EEO/AA Employer committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce.